POSITION PURPOSE (Summary)
The Registered Nurse in the Operating Room shall provide therapeutic and quality nursing care to all patients during the pre-, intra-, and post-operative phases. The RN will be licensed by the State of Illinois to practice professional nursing within the statutory requirements of the Illinois Nurse Practice Act, to use the designation RN (Registered Nurse), adhere to standard nursing techniques, and to work in compliance with Hospital and Department of Surgical Services policies and procedures. Provides first and second assistance for the attending surgeon during indicated surgical procedures.
• Responsible for decisions and actions within the scope of nursing process as defined by the Nurse Practice Act of the State of Illinois.
• Able to communicate clearly and concisely, oral and written. Computer, keyboarding, and Windows skills.
• Maintains confidentiality concerning the personal, financial, medical or employment of patients, employees, and their families.
• Responsible for knowledge of and ability to provide perioperative nursing care.
• Demonstrates a positive attitude toward patients, visitors, physicians and coworkers.
• Must have regular attendance.
• Understand and follow established Hospital and Departmental policies and procedures, written and oral instructions. Recognize critical and obvious changes in patient condition and react promptly. Maintain composure in stressful situations. Organize and complete assigned work.
• Demonstrate an understanding of and an appreciation for the physical, social, and psychological needs of pediatric, adolescent, adult, and geriatric patients. Demonstrate the ability to deliver care to these patients.
• Active participation in departmental and hospital performance improvement program.
• Complete orientation program and on-going education in accordance with established policies and procedures. During orientation, perform duties as defined by Director/Coordinator, Clinician, and mentor.
• Perform other duties as determined by Coordinator or Director. Serves as mentor to newly hired staff and an
Education: Graduate from an accredited School of Nursing.
Experience: A minimum of three (3) years operating room experience required.Licenses/Certificates:
Current Illinois Nursing Liciense, BLS, ACLS (or to be obtained within 3 months of hire), CNOR, PALS preferred